Personal – Interpersonal Skills
- “On Stage” always – my vast experience and people skills has developed an intuitive, perceptive mindset, fulfilling the role of the complete professional. Exhibiting enthusiasm, professionalism, competence and knowledge about my profession. Available, and responsive to customers’ needs and expectations, and a role model for other staff members.
Teaching & Club Fitting Skills
- Training – in the art and science of golf performance is ongoing. Notable mentors – instructors I have shadowed, worked with, influenced by: Jim McLean; Martin Hall; Gary Wiren; Jim Suttie; Jim Flick; Todd Sones; Craig Farnsworth; Chuck Cook. A 600+ books & videos library are evidence of my thirst for knowledge.
- Reputation – considered “a natural, with an engaging style” and “his passion for teaching is most evident.” Excellent teaching reputation from beginner to advanced students, in both individual and group setting. One of the early pioneers of video swing analysis.
- Teaching Philosophy – educate the player about their “misses”. The sole purpose of a golf swing is to produce solid contact and a shot shape/ball flight you can count on. The method employed is not significant, if it is repetitive.
- Activity – Private Golf Lessons – 30,000 + given in career; 700 annually. Group Clinics – stage 3 one-hour sessions per week – full swing & short game topics rotated.
- Teaching Technology – Students were provided with an extensive array of golf, mind & body training aids and diagnostic tools: V-1 video swing training; Launch monitor teaching & fitting technology by Trackman and FlightScope.
- Golf Club Fitting – administered an exemplary, active club fitting program – as it is integral to helping our students play to their potential. Executed all demo programs, special orders and deliveries and designed policies and procedures. 100+ appointments per year, including putting. Utilizing launch monitor technology: Trackman, FlightScope.
- A Mentor – to our teaching staff – “Teaching Teachers” series; to Florida Gulf Coast University PGM program freshmen.
- Philosophy – delivering unparalleled customer service to our members and their guests.
- Workflow – ability to establish priorities, work independently, and proceed with objectives unsupervised. Detail oriented, with excellent organizational, and administrative skills. A technical a mindset with a high level of experience and skill with all the required business, teaching & fitting devices and software.
- Marketing perceptive – excellent oral and written communication skills: Author and editor – providing quality instruction content, programs & services information: Shadow Wood Golf Academy website and newsletter; Dan Hansen Golf Instruction website, newsletter, Facebook and Twitter accounts.
- Education – the required programs and training to achieve membership in the PGA prepare the golf professional well. I have a strong track record of attending extensive national & sectional PGA and Proponent Group continuing education presentations in golf instruction.
The Club at Wynstone N Barrington, Illinois
Director of Instrudction (Summer Season) 2015 to Present
An 18 -hole, 200 member-owned private country club. A Jack Nicklaus signature design
- Introduced a new comprehensive instructional program to the membership.
Alico Golf Center Fort Myers, Florida
Teaching Professional (Winter Season) 2015 to Present
A popular upscale practice facility located near the SW Florida airport.
- As a seasonal, visiting PGA teaching professional and independent contractor, this winter teaching location allows me to to teach my loyal following of nationwide students in the winter months.
Shadow Wood Country Club Bonita Springs, Florida
Director of Instruction 2000 to 2015
A 54-hole, 900+-member-owned private country club. A Bob Cupp design.
- Instruction & Fitting– provided a comprehensive instructional program curriculum – branded as the “Shadow Wood Golf Academy” – meeting and exceeding our students needs and expectations. Included expertise in golf skills training, the mental game, and club fitting – accomplished via personalized private and group golf instruction, in a world-class learning facility environment.
- The SWGA Facility– managed daily operations and a professional presentation of the Golf Academy tee and green area for practice, club fitting, and teaching. The 900-sq. ft. building required my attention as well – including design, setup, and maintenance, and professional presentation.
Heritage Glen Golf Club Paw Paw, Michigan
Head Golf Professional, General Manager, Ownership Partner 1994 to 2000
A privately owned 18-hole semi-private golf course opened in August 1994.
- Guided the facility opening, structured and managed the operation. Accountable for the total day to day golf and food & beverage operations.
- Directed the strategic planning and marketing functions and a $2.5 million operating budget. Structured all day-to-day golf operations policies and procedures: golf course, membership, golf shop, and outside services.
- Hired, trained, motivated, directed and evaluated a staff of 40 team members – including 3 assistant golf professionals, food & beverage manager, and executive chef.
- Coordinated the construction of a new $2 million clubhouse built in 1997. Facility includes full kitchen, restaurant and bar – with seating up to 250 – and specializing in banquets, golf outings, business meetings, and wedding receptions. Responsible for all the design layout work of the golf shop.
- During this period I had winter season positions: Foxfire Country Club, Naples, FL – 1995, 1996; PGA Village, Port St. Lucie FL – 1997.
The Moors Golf Club Portage, Michigan
Head Golf Professional, General Manager 1981 to 1993
A privately owned, semi-private, 18-hole golf club with 435 members. Arthur Hills designed course includes a 600-acre residential and commercial real estate development.
- Instrumental in the startup and growth of what soon became one of the finest private clubs in the area. Increased membership from 95 to 435 in eight seasons.
- Trained, directed and managed a staff of 30 full time employees.
- Implemented and directed very active tournament, league and instructional programs for men, ladies and junior members, and coordinated an active outside golf outing schedule.
- Implemented comprehensive instructional programs for men, ladies and juniors. Over 700 lessons given annually, and junior golf program had 125 participants.
- Owned and managed the well-supported golf shop merchandising concession, with $500,000 annual gross sales.
- Advised club owners in all decisions regarding club membership strategies, rules & policies.
- Collaborated on and was responsible for $3 million operating budget for the golf, clubhouse and food and beverage departments.
- Composed the club monthly golf newsletter.
- High level involvement in the planning and design of new clubhouse facility built in 1993. Created and directed the process of golf shop design layout, furniture and fixtures.
Kalamazoo Country Club Kalamazoo, Michigan
Assistant Golf Professional 1974 to 1980
A 350 member private 18 hole country club established in 1908.
- Golf operation duties included initial concepts and training in high-end customer service, extensive teaching, tournament administration and merchandising.
Served under Head Professionals Walter Biber the last four of his thirty-year tenure and Dick Stewart during his first two years at KCC.
- During this period I had winter season position: Jupiter Hills Club – Tequesta, FL – 1979 and 1980.